ADVANCED FIREARM COURSE INFORMATION
Your enrollment and participation in the Advanced Firearms Course does not guarantee that an unrestricted concealed carry license will be issued to you. Successful completion of the Advanced Firearms Course is just one of several requirements for the issuance of an unrestricted concealed carry license.
A permit-holder who has completed the Advanced Firearms Course must submit an Amendment form to the Sheriff’s Office in which he or she requests the issuance of an unrestricted concealed carry license. The submission of this Amendment initiates a completely new investigation into the permit-holder:
- Character and fitness;
- Mental health history;
- Criminal history (even 1 prior arrest will have an impact on whether an unrestricted concealed carry license will be granted regardless of disclosure);
- Moral character;
- Prior and/or current illegal use of controlled substances (a prior DWI, DWAI, DWAI-drugs arrest will have an impact on whether an unrestricted concealed carry license will be granted regardless of disclosure);
- Immigration/naturalization status;
- Military experience and discharge status;
- Ability to follow directions and abide by the instructions of the Sheriff’s Pistol License Office and the Licensing Officer/Judge.
- Disclosure along with an explanation may not necessarily satisfy the licensing officer, as suggested in paragraphs number 4 and 6 above.
This renewed background investigation is conducted despite the fact that one was completed at the time that the original hunting and target license was issued.
Please be sure to carefully consider all of the above before enrolling in the Advanced Firearms Course, which is a significant investment in time and resources.
To view or download an Advanced Firearm Course information packet click HERE, Please DO NOT Contact Judge Murphy for further information. To view or download a list of police and peace officer exemptions click HERE. To sign up for an Advanced Firearm Course, click any of the following links: